Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lactation Cookies? Are you sure???

Looking to boost my milk production for WD, I came across a recipe on the internet for Lactation Cookies. Now men - don't let these scare you - Dave has eaten plenty of them and we've yet to see a drop from him so far...so don't get too worried. Basically I think it's a healthier Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie - and now I have a GREAT excuse to eat several of them a day! I wash 'em down with either cold milk , or a hot cup of "Mother's Milk" Tea. Dave prefers milk with his.

"LACTATION" COOKIES
(aka: PERFECT EXCUSE Cookies)
preheat oven to 350
parchment paper is needed for this.
  • 1 cup butter/margarine (I use light/low fat)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 2 cups flour (I use 1/2 c whole wheat flour + 1.5 to 1.75 c white flour)
  • 2 T water (I omit entirely)
  • 2 T ground flax seed meal
  • 2 T flax seed (I add this - it's not in the original recipe)
  • 4 T brewers yeast (I got mine at Campbell's Nutrition in Des Moines)
  • 3 cups thick cut oats
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I like Dark Chocolate Chips as that makes it even "healthier")

The internet directions will tell you to mix your ground flax meal w/ the water in a cup and let sit, but I found that really useless, so I omit the water all together and just add the flax meal to the dry ingredients. (Can you tell I've made these a few times already.) Cream the butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. If you chose to mix the flax meal with water, then you'll add that mixture to the creamed mixture now.

Next mix the dry ingredients together EXCEPT the oats and chips, leave those out until the end. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ones a few spoonfuls at a time. Once it's all incorporated then mix in the oats and chips. If you'd like to add nuts (I like to add 1/4 c chopped walnuts occasionally), add them now. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet. W/o the parchment paper, good luck getting them off your cookie sheet!

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes.

Yield = I'd guess about 5 dozen, but I'm not for sure - have yet to bake a batch w/o Dave and I getting into them while they're hot! I'd recommend bagging them up in bunches of 2 or 3 and freezing them. That certainly helps hem last longer around our house.

WW POINTS value = 2 pts per cookie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! I'm going to make tese today (and also posted the recipe to my blog last night).