Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The big SURPRISE!

Mom & Dad had no idea what was coming their way, so the month of stressing and planning paid off. Yep - I said month. This was a very last minute thing as some of you may know we started planning a big 50th anniversary party for them a while ago, but they insisted it be canceled. Well...after Dad hinted like mad that he really wished Mom could have a party I caught on that he really wanted to have one. So we just took it down a notch, and made it more of a surprise open house. And boy were they surprised! Mom wouldn't talk to me initially, and then had a hard time looking at me. I wish I had a picture of her then - I'd totally rub it in her face now (ha ha ha). She relaxed and ended up having a great time. Dad did too. He wasn't as uptight about it, but probably as he wasn't thinking the way mom was (the house isn't clean, I don't have anything to serve people, what will they drink, etc., etc.)
The happy couple with their cakes. They were SO GOOD!!! Way to go Hy-Vee!!! Totally surprised all of us how awesome they were!!! There was chocolate w/ chocolate frosting, Lemon w/ cream cheese filling, white w/ raspberry filling, and finally a strawberry cake.

Here Mom & Dad are with Max & Bev Fisher, who stood up with them at their wedding. Max & Bev came from Illinois to help us celebrate. If you look closely, there is a wedding picture with the four of them on the table (in the frame to the left of the tiered cake). The Fishers recently celebrated their 50th as well. Both my friends who helped us (the Metiers) and I think it's pretty awesome that they are are still friends, keep in touch AND that they both have made it 50 years together! It is getting to be pretty rare anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hadn't really thought about it until I read your comments about Ray & Karyn and Max & Bev both reaching 50 years of marriage & were each others attendants. It's a huge accomplishment for anyone to reach 50 years anymore, let alone two couples who have always been good friends.

The Kluver Family said...

I totally agree Barb. :-)